Las Vegas Auto Accident Attorney
LET OUR LAW FIRM HELP YOU WITH YOUR AUTO ACCIDENT TODAY
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
Don’t let an auto accident put your entire life on hold.
Whether fatal or not, car accidents are a serious issue across the country, costing $400 billion in loss of economic activity due to death and severe injuries.
Plenty of drivers aren’t paying attention, or are making reckless decisions, putting others in danger. You’ll need an experienced Las Vegas auto accident attorney to help you get the compensation that you and your family deserve to help you manage the strain of medical bills, lost wages, and vehicle damage.
Seek the help and compensation you deserve today. The law firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith is here to help. For more than 30 years, our highly qualified Las Vegas injury lawyers have been helping injured victims and their families recover the maximum amount of compensation they are entitled to. We offer a free initial consultation for anyone who’s in need of our legal representation. Contact our accident law firm online or call us at (702) 830-5243.
IF YOU’VE BEEN HURT IN A CAR CRASH in Las Vegas
Being in a traffic accident can affect your life in many ways. The severity of injuries and property damage is a major factor. Vehicles that have been damaged can be repaired or replaced, but when humans have been hurt in a car crash, it’s not as easy to bring life back to normal.
COMPENSATION FOR LOSSES
Individuals who have been injured in a car crash may be eligible to receive financial compensation from the party found to be liable for the crash, for losses such as:
- Medical bills – e.g., emergency room, surgery, hospital costs
- Loss of wages or income from missing work
- Permanent loss of ability to work
- Disfigurement and/or disability
- In cases involving fatalities, funeral and burial costs
- Loss of a loved one’s companionship
- Loss of financial support
- Out-of-pocket expenses
UNDERSTANDING AUTO ACCIDENTS IN LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
CAR ACCIDENT STATISTICS
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the rate for Nevadan car accidents in 2012:
- 258 fatal accidents
- 355 fatalities for drivers
- 147 fatalities for passengers
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT), more than 6 million motor vehicle accidents occur on U.S. roadways each year:
- Upwards of 2 million Americans sustain personal injuries that are irreversible in these crashes
- Over 43,000 are killed annually
- In the state of Nevada, more than 400 traffic accident fatalities occurred last year, representing a 26 percent increase from the previous year
- A person dies in an auto accident every 12 minutes in the U.S.
- Someone in the U.S. is injured every 14 seconds in a car accident
- The number one cause of fatality in those younger than 30 years old is a car accident
- Individuals who typically sustain the most severe injuries in motor vehicle accidents are those between 15 and 24, as well as those older than 75 years old
- One in four drivers will be involved in a car accident within the next five years
- More than 50 percent of those killed in auto crashes were not wearing their seat belts at the time of the collision
- Drunk driving is responsible for about 40 percent of all car accident fatalities
- Approximately 25 percent of all car accidents are caused by drivers talking on mobile phones
DRUNK AND DRUGGED DRIVERS
In Nevada and all other states, it’s illegal to drive with a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or higher. Drunk/drugged driving is a major factor in these car crash statistics:
- Nearly 40% of all traffic-related deaths are alcohol-related
- About a fifth involve marijuana, cocaine or another drug
LAS VEGAS CAR ACCIDENTS RESULTING IN DEATH
Auto accidents are more likely to result in fatality when:
- Animals or debris are in the roadways
- Drivers are fatigued, distracted or inexperienced
- Drivers are intoxicated
- Drivers are speeding, running red lights or otherwise violating traffic laws
- Bad weather or poor road conditions are present
- Vehicles are overloaded or poorly maintained
- Vehicle equipment is defective or fails to operate
Human error is responsible for nearly 90 percent of all motor vehicle collisions. If any type of negligence plays a role in causing a car accident, victims may be able to seek compensation for their injuries and losses. The compassionate, highly skilled accident lawyers in Las Vegas at the law firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith are dedicated to providing the best representation possible.
Following a car accident, victims may be left with:
- Serious physical injuries
- Significant property damage
- An extreme amount of emotional trauma
MILLIONS OF AUTO ACCIDENT INJURIES
Auto accidents are the leading cause of death for teenagers in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As sobering as this statistic is, it simply reflects the reality of car accident injuries and fatalities in America: more than 2,500,000 people suffer car crash injuries in the U.S. each year.
All vehicle drivers and passengers – teenagers, children and adults – are vulnerable to car accident injuries.
The U.S. population puts in hundreds of millions of miles on the road each year, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that about 5,973,000 car accidents occurred in 2006. The economic cost of vehicle crashes is upwards of $250 billion each year, for damages such as lost productivity, medical costs, and disability care.
TYPES OF INJURIES
Because of the size and speed of the vehicles on our roadways today, car accident injuries can be extremely damaging and may include:
- Broken bones
- Permanent disfigurement
- Loss of limb(s)
- Internal bleeding
- Brain damage
- Neck and spinal cord injury
- Loss of life
THE COSTS OF CAR ACCIDENT INJURIES
Recovering from injuries or the loss of a loved one in a car accident can take months, years, a lifetime — or the recovery may never be complete. The costs to an individual from a car accident injury may be eligible for financial compensation. Damages that may be recovered typically include:
- Hospital or ER
- Longer-term medical expenses
- Loss of income (temporary or permanent)
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral & burial costs, the loss of companionship, and loss of financial support (in fatal crashes)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT AUTO ACCIDENTS
ACCIDENT APP by Bertoldo Baker Carter & Smith
None of us like to think about it, but auto accidents do happen.
The Accident Application is one of those things you don’t think you will ever need, until you do. You’ll be glad you took a few seconds to download this app.
Auto Accident App provides straightforward to-dos: fact-and-evidence gathering tools to ensure you or your loved one are informed and protected when motor vehicle accidents happen.
The tools provided in the App make it easier than ever before to record and document important information about the accident that will help determine liability.
The attorneys are excited for the new Auto Accident App and hope that it will help users all over prepare for motor vehicle accidents.
AUTO ACCIDENT APP FEATURES
Important and useful App features include:
- Camera, video recorder, and text notepad
- Providing all you will need to record all of the pertinent data about any moving vehicle accident
- Invaluable FAQ section
- Containing important information about the appropriate procedures to prepare for and handle any moving vehicle accident
- Time saving forms
- To clearly collect accident information from the other parties (drivers, witnesses, passengers etc.)
- Automatic GPS locator
- Which aides in recording critical accident facts like traffic patterns and driving conditions
- Emergency Services Locator
For more information about the Auto Accident App or to talk to an attorney at Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, please call (702) 830-5243.
PEOPLE WE HAVE HELPED
Veteran Car Accident Claim
Client, age 27 at the time, a six-year US military veteran, exited his neighborhood in the early morning of a late November day to head to work. He turned right onto a 45 mph roadway and had just traveled several car lengths when he was hit in the rear by another vehicle driven at a very high rate of speed. The adverse driver lost control of his vehicle and hit a large light utility pole in the median of the street which divided the lanes of travel.
Client was dazed and injured but managed to exit his vehicle and went to assist the adverse driver who was ejected and lying on the ground with a serious head wound. Client applied pressure to the bleeding wound of the injured and unconscious at-fault driver, until paramedics arrived and took the man to the emergency room.
Police later determined that the adverse driver was driving under the influence of alcohol and also traveling over 25 mph in excess of the speed limit. Despite the obvious negligence on the part of the adverse driver, his insurance company denied responsibility and attempted to blame the innocent client for not avoiding its out-of-control insured driver.
Client suffered serious spinal and disc injury to his neck and back, which will be permanent in nature.
The client was shocked and frustrated by the adverse insurance company’s refusal to treat him fairly and sought help by retaining John Bertoldo, of the Las Vegas, Nevada law firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter and Smith, which has represented tens of thousands of auto accident victims for over 3 decades.
When the insurance company refused to offer a fair settlement, Mr. Bertoldo filed a lawsuit on behalf of the client, and ultimately forced the adverse company to pay its policy limits. During the litigation, Mr. Bertoldo was able to depose the adverse driver under oath and get him to admit he had been out partying and drinking, was driving way over the speed limit and had recklessly endangered both his own life and the life and well being of the client.
Of particular interest, the adverse insurance company had never informed its insured of the true injuries and damages to the client victim, nor of the client’s volunteer assistance to the adverse driver while he lay bleeding and unconscious on the roadway, until so informed by Mr. Bertoldo at the deposition.
The lawsuit was then settled shortly after the deposition was taken.
One lesson here is that all too often, the insurance companies of at-fault drivers force their own insureds into unnecessary and risky lawsuits because they do not properly and truthfully inform their own insureds of the actual facts and circumstances of the consequences of the insureds’ actions, nor of the extreme financial risks to the insureds of going to court and exposing them to damages beyond their insurance policy limits.
Every insured has the right to seek their own independent legal advise to ensure that they are being treated fairly by their own insurance company. This advise is almost always available for no fee by experienced trial lawyers, such as are found at the firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter and Smith.
Another lesson is that victims of the negligent and reckless actions of others, very often are not treated fairly by the adverse insurance company (and sometimes their own auto company), and should therefore seek the advise of experienced trial lawyers, such as Mr. Bertoldo, who can make sure that the victim gets the best medical treatment and recovery and also is fairly compensated for the victim’s harms and losses.
Mr. Bertoldo met personally with the client and personally handled his claim throughout the process.
COMPENSATION IN AUTO ACCIDENTS INVOLVING TEXTING
In the United States, distracted driving – which includes texting and using a cellphone – is the leading cause of car accidents, killing 9 persons and injuring approximately 1,153 people every day. Statistics further show that the younger generation, particularly inexperienced drivers under 20 years old, are prone to car accidents while texting or using their cellphones while driving.
DISTRACTIONS THAT CAN CAUSE CAR ACCIDENTS
There are three types of distractions that can lead to crashes and collisions on the road:
- Visual distractions take a driver’s eyes off the road
- Cognitive distractions bring the driver’s mind off driving
- Manual distractions the driver to take their hands off the wheel
Texting while driving significantly increases a driver’s risk of a car accident because it involves all three types of distraction.
CAR ACCIDENT INJURIES
Depending on the circumstances of an auto accident, an injured party may suffer traumatic brain injury, internal injuries, fractures, and even death. If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident where the other driver was texting or using a cellphone, you may be entitled to the maximum compensation for your injuries.
IMPORTANCE OF AUTO ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS
Knowing the Law
Nevada laws strictly prohibit operating a mobile device, either by texting, calling, or emailing, while behind a motor vehicle because of its potentially catastrophic effects.
If you have lost a loved one in this type of accident, you can be overwhelmed with shock, grief, and unexpected financial reverses arising from your loss.
Getting the Most You Deserve
Claiming the maximum value of damages legally allowed in your situation can help you recover not only financial setbacks from the accident but also compensate you for the pain and suffering that come from losing a loved one in a car accident.
Experience Is Necessary
Filing your claim within the prescribed period can be a challenge when you are unaware of all the rules surrounding it.
An experienced car accident attorney can help by:
- Studying all evidence
- Ordering the police report
- Negotiating on your behalf with insurance companies
- And, if necessary, filing the wrongful death lawsuit
- Trying the case in court
To learn about your rights following a serious car crash in Las Vegas, contact a Las Vegas car accident attorney at the law firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith. We will evaluate the details of your specific incident and determine how we can help you when you call (702) 830-5243 for a free private consultation.