Las Vegas Semi-Truck Accidents Lawyers
Semi-truck accidents are all too common on the highways and roads in and around Las Vegas. With nearly two million people living in or visiting the Las Vegas Valley, thousands of semi-trucks are going through the area, delivering every type of good imaginable. Individuals who are injured in semi-truck accidents can find top-notch legal representation at the Las Vegas office of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith.
Semis Are Dangerous, Loaded or Empty
Semi-trucks (also known as “semis” or “semi-trailers”) are very heavy, with cargo that can be dangerously loose, flammable, explosive, or even radioactive. When a semi-truck is in a collision with a sedan, station wagon, van, light truck or SUV, it is almost always the driver and/or passengers in the smaller vehicle who get hurt or killed, although sometimes the semi driver is also injured.
Even when a semi-truck’s trailer is empty, there is a potential for a semi-truck accident. An empty trailer is more prone to “fishtail” or roll over, and an inexperienced driver may have trouble controlling the truck.
Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents
The most common causes of semi-truck accidents fall under driver error/recklessness and truck maintenance. These factors include:
- Driver fatigue (can cause judgment errors and loss of control)
- Drug/alcohol use by driver
- Overly demanding delivery schedules
- Truck maintenance failures (poor or no inspection and upkeep of tires, brakes and lights, for example)
- Failure to see vehicles in blind spots
- Dangerous lane changes
- Jackknifing (when the trailer moves toward the cab of the truck)
- Aggressive truck driving
- The driver’s failure to adjust to driving conditions (e.g., fog, rain, snow, fog)
- Excessive load weight or an improperly balanced load
In other cases, semi-truck accidents are due to poorly maintained roadways, signage, or other road design problems.
If You’ve Been Injured in a Semi-Truck Accident
Don’t let the injuries or fatalities incurred in a Las Vegas-area semi-truck accident overwhelm you. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may be eligible for financial compensation for your losses. Contact the Las Vegas semi-truck accident attorneys at Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith today to discuss your options.